Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Sipanus' Story - Voice of Baliem Children




“I want to be an announcer someday” said Sipanus when we met him at VBC radio station in Mandiri Dormitory Wamena. “By becoming announcer I will get into people live, knowing their feelings and opinions about some topics” he continued. “It is very interesting when you involved in a conversation especially when talking about hot issues”, he said.

Sipanus Magayang is the first son of Matius Magayang and Ogga Keroman. He has 4 siblings and all of them attending school in Wamena. Sipanus already involved in WV activities since 2 years ago with one of WV HIV and AIDS prevention project. As a third grader of senior high school, already put Sipanus on track of becoming a professional announcer. He plans on attending specific school for journalistic after he graduated from high school. Before got involved in VBC Sipanus never thought he would become an announcer. “In the beginning I was very shy, I got no confidence in sharing opinions or even involved in a debate” he said. “But now I’m very confidence to share my feelings to others, even I’m able to influence someone when I believe I was right about something” he continued. After joined VBC radio station it was undoubted that his name is now very famous among children in Wamena that regularly listen to his program. During afternoon he portrays education info followed by band info. In band info program an interactive dialog with listeners is available using phones that directly connect to a mixer and transmitters.

Voice of Baliem Children (VBC) is a special project funded by WV in building child capacities in expressing child rights through a community radio station. It was built in early February 2009 located in Mandiri Dormitory Wamena. Until August 2009 VBC already has 6 child announcers from high schools students around Wamena. Although it was very difficult to train several children of becoming child announcers finally it comes to a result that someday this radio station will be independent and able to finance itself. Some specific income came from air time like jingle or reading some information for third parties such as stores, institutions, and churches.

“Now I’m able to operate some radio equipments” said Sipanus. “With the experience I received here I believe that someday I will be a professional announcer or journalist”.
Sipanus then back to his seat in front of microphone grab the headphone and open conversation with his audience. “Good afternoon, to whom am I speaking?” ask Sipanus to his audience. We were smile watched at his action. “Hmm... so professional...” we mumbled. Deeply in our heart we believed that someday Sipanus will be a professional announcer.


Willy Sitompul for Eruwok Development

No comments: